Wednesday 23 October 2013

Little dreams of mine, of girls.

"I was told, the average girl begins to plan her wedding at the age of 7.
She picks the colors and the cake first.

By the age of 10, she knows time, and location.

By 17, she’s already chosen a gown, 2 bridesmaids, and a maid of honour.

By 23, she’s waiting for a man, who wont break out in hives when he hears the word “commitment”.
Someone who doesn’t smell like a Band-Aid drenched in lonely;
someone who isn’t a temporary solution to the empty side of the bed;
someone who’ll hold her hand like it’s the only one they’ve ever seen.



While I walk down the aisle nervously, like a 5 foot promise, I will put on a smile. A smile so big you will see it on google map.

When the pastor asks if I take my man as my husband, I will say yes before he finishes the sentence.
I’ll apologize later for being impolite.
But I will also explain to him, that our first kiss happened years ago.
And I’ve been practicing my “yes” ever since.

When people ask me about my future husband, I don't really know what to say.
But for sure that I know,
His eyes are the only Christmas lights that deserve to be seen all year long;
he would be a someone who loves to laugh, even at the silliest joke;
he would be terrible at lying, because he is one kind soul.


I tell them
If my alarm clock sounded like his voice
My snooze button would collect dust
I tell them
If he came in a bottle
I would drink him until my vision is blurry and my friends take away my keys
If he was a book
I would memorise his table of contents
I would read his cover-to-cover
Hoping to find typos
Just so we can both have a few things to work on
Because aren’t we all unfinished?
Don’t we all need a little editing?
Aren’t we all waiting to be proofread by someone?
Aren’t we all praying they will tell us that we make sense
He doesn’t always make sense
But his imperfections are the things I love about her the most


I don’t know when I will be married;
I don’t know where I will be married;
But I do know this,
Whenever I’m asked about my future husband
I would say … He's the best thing that has ever walked into my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment